Why it’s Important to Walk to School

Recently I read that in the past 20 years the percentage of children who are driven to school in the mornings has doubled.

Further research revealed that this is true of teenagers and not just young children. Moreover, the numbers of children who ride a bicycle to school has also markedly decreased over the space of a generation or two. With this in mind, it is not surprising that as a frequent guest in the classroom I see large numbers of students who are lethargic, barely awake, unmotivated and unable or unwilling to concentrate…and the school day has only just begun!

So there I was, thinking about the article I wanted to write on how essential it is to make a good start to the school day. Stress less exercise such as walking increases blood flow to the brain and stimulates the ability to concentrate and learn. I stumbled upon this article from news.com.au, and because I couldn’t have put it better myself I have reproduced it here instead.

Author: Jeremy Fiske – Secondary School Adolescent Health Nurse

The debate: Will your child walk to school?

GOVERNMENT and health organisations are urging parents to ditch the car and make the school run on foot.

As the kids jump into the back seat of the car for the one-kilometre-or-less drive to school or the bus stop, there would be many parents who must occasionally wonder if perhaps their kids – and them – should be making the journey on foot.

Yet a recent study found that less than half of kids who live within a 15-minute walk of their school actually use their feet to walk any further than from the school gate, where they are dropped. The Deakin University study also found that, despite this, a vast majority of kids would prefer to walk…

Read the full article here

Source: News.com.au (http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/parenting/will-your-child-walk-to-school/news-story/7442daa94f803501938344b540bcbb93?sv=c9952d378cabce5d286db375505d6468)
Author: Fiona Baker
Date: February 4, 2013